Calls for Reform

A round up of articles I've noticed today suggesting how the Church could reform to prevent scandals like McCarrick's.

A suggestion by woman canon/civil lawyer at The Christian Review.

Bishop Sean O'Malley has issued a statement.  Here it is covered by the National Catholic Register.

Father Berg at First Things.

Ethika Politika's commentary  

Crux Now's suggestions for reform

My own (probably quite ignorant) thoughts:

I think, and this idea was prompted by a comment somewhere, that the more married priests and more married deacons in the Church the better.  I think they will bring a different dynamic.  I am not against celibacy.  I don't think it is the root of this.  I think the structure and those who controlled the seminaries are at fault. But I do think it is proven one can be married and be a good shepherd to the flock.  So let's not exclude those possible shepherds because they are married.  I think the inclusion of Melkite priests under the RCC canopy and the opening up to Anglican priests is a good and healthy sign.  I also think the the rise in popularity of the lay diaconate is a good thing.  Not that married priest and deacons can't abuse power.  We still need oversight in any case.

I also don't even think homosexuality is at the root.  I am sure that there are those with same sex attraction who are quite capable of holiness and self control.  But the system as it is easily creates a toxic environment for them in living chastely.  We need to help them avoid sin and near occasion of sin. 

I think seminarians should be required to work during the day at something, perhaps a Catholic charity and attend classes at night.  I don't think they should be in dorms all together.  But there should be regular prayer services, etc.  I would want to keep them out of an all male environment.  I also kind of agree with what I once read somewhere, that Christ didn't start his ministry until he was 30.  So you have to be 30 before you can be ordained.  I don't care if there are fewer priests.  Think of missionaries.  When you have a few good and holy priests that seems to be more powerful spiritually than having many mediocre or depraved priests.

Also are lay people part of the vetting for seminarians?  I think having a lay panel go over the qualifications is a good thing.  After all these will be our pastors and confessors.

Again no system will be perfect.  But we have create the wisest system possible to greatly reduce having wayward priests as our servant-leaders.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step 1: Prayer

Great Article on Becoming the Solution